To Trieste and back with CONNECT2CE through ticket by bus and train
A new cross-border travel scheme which combines train and bus transport to take you from Ljubljana to Trieste using a through ticket.
Slovenske železnice (SŽ) has teamed up with Central European Initiative (CEI) and Trieste bus operator Trieste Trasporti to introduce CONNECT2CE, a new cross-border travel scheme which combines train and bus transport to take you from Ljubljana to Trieste using a through ticket.
The project launches on 1 March and will last for six months. During this time you will be able to purchase the ticket online to travel from Ljubljana to Opicine by train and then continue the trip by bus, using line 2 or 4 of Trieste Trasporti bus services - timetable. The travel scheme also applies to the return journey, meaning you can travel from Trieste to Opicine by bus and continue by train to Ljubljana.
CONNECT2CE is co-financed by the Interreg Central Europe Programme. To learn more about the project, go here.
Things to note before travelling (and purchasing CONNECT2CE ticket):
- The ticket is only available online (see the link below) – it cannot be purchased at a station Ticket Office or on train;
- The ticket applies to all stations between Ljubljana and Opicine, and to Trieste bus stops (Piazza Oberdan and Piazza Tommaseo) served by Trieste Transporti buses (only line 2 and 4 – please check bus timetable)
- The ticket also applies to the through train service to Trieste /Udine (both outward and return journey), but with a change to bus at Opicine station;
- The ticket does not apply to Arriva buses operating between Ljubljana and Trieste
- The ticket is valid on the date of travel selected in the online app, and applies to all outward train and bus services running on the selected route – please note you will need to purchase a new ticket for the return journey;
- The ticket is non-refundable and non-transferable;
- Purchase can only be made with a credit card;
- Print out (or download on your smart phone) the payment receipt of your online purchase and show it to the staff on train in order to collect your train ticket; the printed receipt also works as a ticket for the bus portion of the journey, so make sure to hold on to it;