To Trieste and back with CONNECT2CE through ticket by bus and train
A new cross-border travel scheme which combines train and bus transport to take you from Ljubljana to Trieste using a through ticket.
Slovenske železnice (SŽ) has teamed up with Central European Initiative (CEI) and Trieste bus operator Trieste Trasporti to introduce CONNECT2CE, a new cross-border travel scheme which combines train and bus transport to take you from Ljubljana to Trieste using a through ticket.
From 1 March you are able to purchase the ticket online to travel from Ljubljana to Opicine by train and then continue the trip by bus, using line 2 or 4 of Trieste Trasporti bus services - timetable. The travel scheme also applies to the return journey, meaning you can travel from Trieste to Opicine by bus and continue by train to Ljubljana.
CONNECT2CE is co-financed by the Interreg Central Europe Programme. To learn more about the project, go here.
Things to note before travelling (and purchasing CONNECT2CE ticket):
- The ticket is only available online (see the link below) – it cannot be purchased at a station Ticket Office or on train;
- The ticket applies to all stations between Ljubljana and Opicine, and to Trieste bus stops (Piazza Oberdan and Piazza Tommaseo) served by Trieste Transporti buses (only line 2 and 4 – please check bus timetable)
- The ticket does NOT applies to the through train service to Trieste /Udine (both outward and return journey)
- The ticket does not apply to Arriva buses operating between Ljubljana and Trieste
- The ticket is valid on the date of travel selected in the online app, and applies to all outward train and bus services running on the selected route – please note you will need to purchase a new ticket for the return journey;
- The ticket is non-refundable and non-transferable;
- Purchase can only be made with a credit card;
- Print out (or download on your smart phone) the payment receipt of your online purchase and show it to the staff on train in order to collect your train ticket; the printed receipt also works as a ticket for the bus portion of the journey, so make sure to hold on to it;