The history of Slovenske železnice

The development path of Slovenske železnice leads us past old Austria, which Slovenia formed part of until 1918, when Slovenians could witness the start and flourishing of railways in their country. Therefore, the table unavoidably contains major events from the histories of both Austrian and Slovenian railways.

1820
Close to Idrija, the head forester Jettmar manufactures a forest railway called "lauf" to supply a local mine with wood. With a track width of 342 mm, the line is made entirely from wood, as are the wagons, except that their wheels are cast iron. The wagons are carried downwards by their weight, while the forest workers push them upwards. The Idrija "lauf" is probably the first forest railway in the world.

1841
On 20 June, the WRB line is completed, namely Vienna - Wiener Neustadt, becoming the first section of the subsequent railway connection between the capital and Trieste.

1842
On 23 February, the General Directorate of the National Railways is established in Austria.

1842
On 5 May, the WRB line Wiener Neustadt - Gloggnitz is completed. The railway reaches the northern foot of the awe-inspiring Alpine ridge of the Semmering. (At the end of the year, WRB is renamed Wien-Gloggnitzer Bahn - WGB.)

1844
On 21 October, the line of the Southern National Railway (SStB) Mürzzuschlag (southern foot of the Semmering) - Graz is opened. The line is leased by WGB. For now, the Semmering has no line.

1846
On 2 June, the SStB line Graz - Celje is opened. This one is also leased by WGB.

1848
Under the leadership of the genial construction engineer Carl Ghega, the construction of the line over the Semmering begins.

1849
On 16 September, the line of the Southern National Railway (SStB) to Ljubljana is opened. Traffic on it begins a day later. It is still operated by WGB.

1851
The Southern National Railway (SStB) introduces its own administration on its lines and takes over the WGB lines.

1854
On 15 May, the line over the Semmering is opened to freight transport and, on 17 June, to all transport.

1857
On 28 July, the Southern National Railway (SStB) reaches Trieste and, in the process, its goal.

1857
On 1 August, the first express train in old Austria begins to run twice a week on the Vienna - Ljubljana line and soon afterwards every day on the Vienna – Trieste line.

1884
Due to the nationalisation of those private railways finding themselves in debt and being sequestered by the state, on 1 August the Imperial Royal (Austrian) National Railways appears – Kaiserlich königliche (österreichische) Staatsbahnen – kkStB.

1909
The Tauern rail line is completed, thereby rounding off the system of "new Alpine railways", the last great railway project of Austria-Hungary. (The Pyhrn and the Karavanken-Bohinj-Karst lines of Klagenfurt/Villach – Jesenice – Goriza – Trieste St. Andrew were already completed in 1906.)

1918
After the disintegration of Austria-Hungary, in the successor countries the former parts of Austrian railways are integrated or renamed national railways, in Slovenia they become the National Railways of the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians.

1924
The Southern Railway, surviving the fall of the monarchy, finds itself in an impossible situation. It is renamed Donau-Save-Adria Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft (DSA, DOSAG) with its headquarters in Vienna.

1929
The Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians is replaced by the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, consequently, the railways are also renamed the Yugoslav National Railways (JDŽ).

1930
Was part of World War I reparations, 40 express, 30 passenger and 40 freight steam engines are supplied to Yugoslavia by Germany.

1936
On 21 April, Ferrovie dello Stato (FS) completes the electrification of the lines Trieste - Postojna and Pivka - Rijeka, which formed part of Italian territory from 1918 to 1945. After World War II, Slovenia "inherits" seventeen Italian group 626 electric locomotives.

1941-45
JDŽ ceases to exist, and when it is divided between DRB, FS and MAV, in NDH Croatian National Railways (HDŽ) appears, and in Serbia (again) Serb National Railways (SDŽ).

1952
In the process of introducing self-management to JDŽ in 1951-54, it is renamed the Yugoslav Railways - JŽ.

1958
The first six series 731 diesel hydraulic switch engines , a product of the Austrian factory Jenbacher Werke, arrive at the JŽ. Their manufacture under licence is taken on by Duro Dakoviae at Slavonski Brod, producing a total of 38 by 1965.

1960
On 6 November, the first four sets of railbuses arrive in Slovenia. The last of these "goše" still ran in the area of ŽG Ljubljana in 1990 on the Trebnje – Sevnica line, and in 1991 on the Divača – Pula line. After independence, they are given to Croatian Railways.

1961
In January, the first seven series 661 diesel electric engines arrive in Slovenia from the USA, a product of the General Motors factory and immediately receive the nickname "Kennedy".

1961
The supply of light four-axle series 642 diesel electric engines begins, manufactured by the Duro Dakoviae factory under a French licence. Up until 1972, 21 of them arrive in Slovenia. They are nicknamed "evrofime" or "durice".

1962
On 29 November, the electrification of the Postojna - Ljubljana line is completed.

1962
The first ten six-axle type 362 electric engines made by the Italian company Ansaldo are supplied. These are the first electric locomotives manufactured for Slovenia.

1964
The Polish factory Pafawag starts to supply to Slovenia, for its suburban transport purposes, with electric engines of the series 311/315 - the popular "gomulke".

1964
On 27 November, the electrification of the Ljubljana – Jesenice line is completed.

1964
The factory Jenbacher Werke manufactures the first two powerful diesel hydraulic switch engines of the 732 series for the JŽ.

1967
On 27 November, the electrification of the Zalog - Zidani Most line is completed.

1967
The supply of 22 modified light four-axle series 643 diesel electric engines , made by the French factory Brissonneau et Lotz SA from the town of Creil, to Yugoslavia begins and lasts continues till 1978. Manufacturing under licence is taken on by Duro Dakoviae.

1968
The supply of 40 light type 342 four-axle electric engines , a product of the Italian company ASGEN, to Slovenia starts and is concluded in 1970. Railway workers somewhat mockingly call them "mopeds".

1968
On 5 November, the electrification of the Zidani Most - Rimske Toplice line is completed.

1969
On 14 December, the electrification of the Zidani Most - Dobova line is completed.

1970
From Germany, ten double series 711 diesel hydraulic engines arrive in Slovenia. As the engines are made by the MTU factory from the Daimler-Benz group, railway workers call them "Mercedes".

1971
On 21 May, the electrification of the Rimske Toplice - Celje line is completed.

1973
In June, the electrification of the Celje - Poljčane line is completed.

1973
From Italy, the first of Fiat's series 813/814 diesel mechanic engines arrive, and start to replace the now poor condition "goše" railbuses on side lines. The last ones are supplied in 1976.

1973
The beginning of the supply of 25 series 644 diesel electric engines from the Spanish factory Macosa, manufacturing them under a GM licence. They are nicknamed "Spaniards".

1974
In December, the electrification of the Poljčane - Maribor line is completed.

1975
In December, the French factory Alsthom supplies the first of 39 modern six-axle series 363 electric locomotives to Slovenia. Since they are very nicely shaped, railway workers call them "Brigittes" after the French actress Brigitte Bardot.

1975
On 27 December, the electrification of the Divača – Koper line is completed.

1977
On 27 May, the electrification of the Maribor - Špilje line is completed.

1978
On 11 April, the 33-110 steam engine ends the period of steam traction in Slovenia with one final and special journey from Ljubljana to Postojna.

1978
On 27 November, remote traffic management, the so-called telecommand, starts to operate on the Ljubljana - Jesenice line .

1981
On 24 August, telecommand starts to operate on the Divača - Koper line .

1983
In the Maribor TVT Boris Kidrič, the manufacture of new series 713/715 diesel hydraulic engines begins. As they are driven by engines carrying the MBB trademark, they are nicknamed "Messerschmitts".

1984
On 5 November, the first two diesel electric engines of the series 664-100, manufactured by General Motors and assembled by the Duro Dakoviae factory, arrive from Slavonski Brod in Slovenia. They are immediately nicknamed "Reagan".

1986
Beginning of the regular operations of the Slovenian Museum Train, initially composed of a 17-006 steam engine and six ancient passenger wagons.

1988
At the end of the year, the first redesigned and modernised 813/814-100 diesel mechanic engine exits the Maribor TVT factory, its shape being reminiscent of the 713/715 "Messerschmittes".

1991
With a new timetable, in co-operation with Croatian Railways, on 2 June Slovenian lines begin to host the EuroCity Mimara train with its state-of-the-art and air-conditioned carriages.

1991
After the disintegration of Yugoslavia, the railways in Slovenian are renamed Slovenske železnice or ‘SŽ’.

1992
On 10 June, Slovenske železnice becomes a member of the International Union of Railways (UIC). Simultaneously with the new owner code number 79, replacing the Yugoslav 72, at the end of September vehicles are also marked with the new logotype of Slovenske železnice designed by the architect Nino Kovačevič.

1994
On 17 September, on its promotional journey between Rače and Hoče, the Italian electric engine ETR 460 with its tilting mechanism, correctly called Pendolino, achieves an absolute speed record on Slovenian lines of 208.2 km/h.

2000
On 16 August, the first Siemens two-part electric engine Desiro, assembled in TVT Nova in Maribor, arrives at CD Moste. Ten two-part sets of the SŽ 312-0 type and twenty three-part sets of the SŽ 312-1 type are ordered to, gradually over two years, replace the outdated "gomulke", namely Polish electric engines of the SŽ 311/315 type.

2000
On 5 September, the official first journey of the new ICS train (InterCity Special or InterCity Slovenia) takes place from Ljubljana to Maribor and back; this is a three-part electric engine of the SŽ 310 type with the tilting mechanism "Pendolino" manufactured by the Italian factory FiatFerroviaria on the basis of the Italian ETR 460. In total, three three-part sets are supplied in order for them to start to operating regularly between Ljubljana and Maribor on 24 September, when the winter timetable begins.

2000
On 26 September, the official inaugural journey of the new Desiro, Siemens two-part electric engines of the SŽ 312-0 type takes place from Maribor to Ljubljana.

2001
On 16 May, the Primer Minister of the Republic of Slovenia Dr Janez Drnovšek and the Prime Minister of the Republic of Hungary Viktor Orban officially open the new rail link between Slovenia and Hungary at Hodoš.

2002
In mid-June at the Maribor factory TVT Nova, Slovenske železnice officially accepts the last of the thirty sets of the Siemens Desiros, new electric engines of the SŽ 312 type.

SŽ Slovenske železnice

History

Slovenske železnice, d. o. o.

Corporate Communication
Kolodvorska 11
1506 Ljubljana

Tel.: 01 29 14 191

Fax.: 01 29 14 809